Development Vision for Burnside Village
Development update February 2019
As the owners of Burnside Village, the Cohen Group has lodged a development planning application for a 10-year Masterplan.
Our proposal aims to maintain Burnside Village’s position as South Australia’s premier retail, lifestyle, food, beverage and leisure destination.
The story so far
Since Burnside Village was established in the early 1970s, the centre has evolved and expanded to meet the needs of its customers and community by providing a curated retail offering in a relaxed village atmosphere.
Late 1960s – Richard and Pat Cohen purchase bluestone cottage
1972 – Burnside Village opens with the Vine Mall building
1985 – First major expansion adding undercover car parking and Atrium Mall
1990 – Village Market opens with cafes and fresh food retailers
1992 – Village Pharmacy opens with adjoining tenancies
2009 – Refurbish amenities and install glass atrium throughout the malls
2011 – New Atrium Mall and fashion court opens
Est 2021 – Proposed Stage Six to be completed
Est 2025 – 2028 – Proposed Stage Seven to open
We’re excited about this next stage of development and the future of Burnside Village.
Your New Burnside Village
Our proposal has been based on three years of extensive consultation and research with shoppers, retailers, community leaders and the City of Burnside, which highlighted Burnside Village should preserve its relaxed village ambience while evolving to offer:
- More signature fashion, beauty and homeware brands
- Expanded fresh food offering
- More personal services, such as health and wellness
- Improved café and dining and entertainment options to become an evening destination
This feedback guided our goal is to build on Burnside Village’s reputation for premium fashion and make it the number one destination in Adelaide for locals and visitors alike.
Potential alfresco dining
With this in mind, your proposed new Burnside Village reimagines a new village character with:
- New specialty retail stores set amongst leafy precincts
- A curated, best-in-class alfresco dining and events precinct celebrating local produce and offering a collection of intimate spaces connected by landscaped open-air walkways
- Lush, layered landscaped areas, potted plants and vines throughout the centre
- Expanded undercover car parking
- More leisure and entertainment options for customers to enjoy.
Our proposal at a glance
The Cohen family’s vision would mark the sixth and seventh evolution of Burnside Village and further enhance the centre’s reputation as a premium retail and lifestyle destination.
- Additional parking
- Around 130 new specialty stores
- An inviting new Greenhill Road frontage
- Expansion of the existing Atrium Mall
- An intimate alfresco dining rooftop garden
- Smaller spaces united by a collection of lush green laneways
- A luxury cinema
- A new fresh food precinct
- Office accommodation at the corner of Greenhill and Portrush Roads
- Further leisure and entertainment activities
Subject to planning approval, the Masterplan would be delivered in two or more stages over a 10-year period.
The Proposed Stage Six
Proposed new Greenhill Road frontage (deliver late 2021)
Proposed elevation Greenhill Road / Sydney Street (deliver late 2021)
Proposed elevation Greenhill Road / Portrush Road (deliver late 2021)
Focusing on the northern end, Stage 6 would create a dynamic and welcoming new ‘Village Street’ frontage for Greenhill Road with:
- 80 new specialty stores over two levels
- A series of lush, green laneways connecting a collection of alfresco dining spaces
- Luxury cinema at Sydney Street / Greenhill Road intersection
- 500 new undercover parking spaces
- Office accommodation / commercial space for personal and wellness services at the corner of Greenhill Road and Portrush Road
Timing: If approved, Stage Six would be delivered late 2021.
The Proposed Stage Seven
Proposed Portrush Road mall entry
Proposed new elevation Portrush Road / Cator Street
Proposed elevation Greenhill Road / Portrush Road
Some years later, we would look to improve the street frontages at the southern end of the site in our proposed Stage Seven, which may feature:
- A second supermarket and fresh food precinct
- 50 new specialty retail outlets
- Leafy Village Walk
- 350 new parking spaces
- Additional office space at the Portrush Road / Greenhill Road corner.
The Cohen family’s $350 million investment over the next 10 years will see Burnside Village become a vibrant hub for retail, food, wine, lifestyle and entertainment delivering:
- A retail and lifestyle destination that will be truly unique in South Australia
- Best-in-class alfresco dining precinct
- Expanded car parking
- Improved pedestrian access and traffic flow around the centre
- Substantially improved streetscapes and extensive landscaping throughout the centre
- Preserve and further enhance the iconic village ambience
- Create 1790 jobs both in construction and once operational
- Inject $297 million annually into the South Australian economy.
Please check this page again for further updates.